Sunday, July 9, 2017

Accidental Movie Review- Cabin Fever 2016

I did something the other day that I have not done in a super long time...I took the afternoon OFF from doing anything remotely work related and watched a horror movie! Actually, I watched two of them, but...I am only going to write about one of them today.

Said movie watched was the 2016 remake of Cabin Fever. Wait...Let me just disclaimer you- in NO WAY is this me attempting to actually amaturely (not a word?) review a movie, I just wanted to ramble about something other than art...and horror is a hobby of mine.

Okay, back on topic...Cabin Fever remake 2016. It was not terrible. It was not great. I am not sad that I spent the time watching it, as I am never sad spending time watching horror movies. It was "meh" at its best points, which is NEVER something you want to feel about a horror movie, be it a remake, original, or sequel. I found the Marcy character's eyebrows far more attention grabbing than the dried up script, which was damn near word-for-word. Except they removed the humor. All of it.

Perhaps going the straight horror route was their purposeful style imprint- the 2002 version was marketed as comedy-horror, this one stands in the horror category alone. Fine. I accept that, but I just feel like there was something missing from the 2016 version. I had zero attachment to any character, including the dog, which left me with no sense of urgency or anxiety, no real reason to become emotionally involved (AKA scared in this instance). I dunno. All around bland, I'd say.

I *did* really like Deputy Winston as a female switch, though. There was something very sinister about her, not like the male character in the 2002 version, who came across as a dimwitted backwoods too young hillbilly type. The female version just seemed more menacing somehow. I could just be misreading the super dry humor- I am not good at dry humor, often it just pisses me off. Like, be funny or don't, don't fucking take the hoity-toity road WTF NOBODY THINKS THAT SHIT IS FUNNY. Slapstick, fart jokes, genitals, dark humor, and pranks where no one gets seriously injured are funny. Poop...poop is funny. But "I just made a joke and I'm the only one who thinks it's funny because I'm cooler than you hehehe" is not funny. Crack a smile, wink, or something...Sorry, not sorry.

*ahem* ANYWAAAAYYYY that's my stupid ramble. I hope I've made you laugh at least. This is purely bathroom reading material, I admit. So, overall, Cabin Fever 2002 version- I recommend if you are into horror and comedy. Cabin Fever 2016, I'd skip it, unless you like too-big eyebrows.

xo!
Em

PS- Here is a photo of a moth on my porch

zombietoes.com
eBay
Zazzle shop

No comments:

Post a Comment