Sunday, July 2, 2017

Toy + Doll Collecting pt 2

Okee, part 2 of my toy collecting hobby ramble!

Random notes- I am not a hardcore collector. I am not a completist. I buy what I like in a price range I can afford. I have focuses, rules, and a budget. It's all very scientific. Part of the fun, for me, is finding a doll or toy on my "list" that is A GOOD DEAL. This could mean less than retail price for a new doll, or a decent deal on a vintage item, specialty/limited edition toys, etc. I honestly believe that I get more of a thrill from doing the research behind the toy, and then hunting for a GOOD DEAL in the "wild", than the act of purchasing the toy.

I love the rush I get from discovering a new toy, doll, or brand that speaks to me (I am fairly particular, for space/budget/sanity reasons). I love finding out that the most beloved of my childhood playthings are often harder to find than their counterparts- and often more sought after. This gives me some kind of sick satisfaction at knowing I have good taste in something lol. It ain't movies, or fashion, or food, even, but I sure as heck can pick out the most valuable toy. What a superpower, shit.
Needless to say, I do find toy collecting to be a good exercise in intuition. Plus, I end up with some VERY COOL TOYS!

An example- when I was a wee lass, I had this one doofy bird girl thing that I carried around with me everywhere. She was "dressed" in a molded on bird feather gown, which was shimmery peach at the top and faded to blue at her tail. Her hair was also peach, and she had a sweet little smile on her face. I believe she originally came with a "baby" bird child thing, though I do not recall having that around as a kid.

My research shows that she was part of the Kenner Sea Wees offshoot line Shimmers, little fantasy girl creatures. There was a butterfly, a centaur, a fancy mermaid, a bird girl, and possibly one other I am forgetting. So cute! Here is the one I am speaking of, "Sunstreak"


Kenner Sea Wees Shimmers Sunstreak doll circa 1986


Of the Shimmers, Sunstreak is harder to find. Perhaps because ALL the little girls had one, and they all got played to death in the late 80s, or that those left are favored by collectors (they are gorgeous and so sweet). It is rare that I see one in decent shape with an affordable price tag. I have never seen one listed NIB (New In Box), though I have seen other Shimmers NIB. Why, Sunstreak? What makes you more elusive? These are the things I spend my time pondering. But, yay, go little Emily for having some toy picking skills!

Dang it, this is getting long again...I see a part 3 is in order...sorry, not sorry!

xo!
Em
zombietoes.com
eBay
Zazzle shop

No comments:

Post a Comment